Friday, September 10, 2010

PDFE Assignment 2

This week on Wednesday, September 8th, I observed a P90X workout in the large classroom located in the rear of the Cage Center. The class was composed of approximately 15 students ranging from freshmen to seniors. This was more specifically a plyometrics workout, therefore it involved a decent amount of jumping, sliding, running, and leaping. Because of the large amounts of running and jumping, this activity was a significant locomotor movement workout. There was very little if any manipulative movement that took place throughout the workout. The only example the I witnessed would be when the students retrieved water bottles. I viewed this as manipulative movement because the students had to coordinate with their hands and mouth in order to drink their water.
The students focused on many muscle groups when doing the workout. The main points of focus were the legs (calfs, quads, and hamstrings) and core (abdominal) muscle group and this would be considered the gross movement that took place throughout the workout. These muscle groups were what allowed the students to participate in the exercises throughout this workout. The workouts involved throughout the workout was a continuous motor skill, because with each separate exercise there was a distinct beginning and end. As the workout progressed I was able to determine that there were many exercises that required decision making movements. I believe this because many of the exercises involved were advanced movements that involved multiple stages. (ex. running then leaping then sliding).
The environment of this environment was closed. Students participated inside a closed classroom while watching a DVD that explained the different exercises. The only way I could see the environment being unpredictable would be if the DVD player broke, or a fan fell on a student.

No comments:

Post a Comment